Skin Cancer Awareness
May is Skin Cancer Awareness month! In our line of work, we are SO passionate about preventing skin cancer and educating our clients about the proper use of sun protection.
Here are some eye-opening facts about skin cancer:
- Skin cancer is America's most common cancer
- Over 5 million cases are diagnosed in the USA every year
- Having 5 or more sunburns doubles your risk of skin cancer
- Anyone can get skin cancer, regardless of race or skin color
- Tan skin is damaged skin
SPF stands for sun protection factor and is the measure of how much solar energy (UV radiation) is absorbed or blocked by the sunscreen. UV rays still penetrate through overcast and cloudy skies resulting in sun damage on unprotected skin, so get in the habit of applying SPF every day, no matter what the weather is (and no, the sunscreen in your makeup is not enough protection)! UV rays are responsible for premature aging, hyperpigmentation and the breakdown of collagen & elastin. Daily sunscreen is your cheapest, most effective anti-aging tool on the market, and make sure you're reapplying often because you will sweat it off throughout the day.
Let's talk prevention!
- Wear a broad spectrum, mineral based sunscreen SPF 30 or higher every single day
- Reapply SPF every 2-3 hours while in the active sun
- Reapply sunscreen every 40 minutes while swimming, in the water or heavily sweating
- Seek shade and wear protective clothing such as a wide brimmed hat & large sunglasses
- Avoid tanning beds
Detection: Learn your ABC's when inspecting moles or suspicious skin
A is for Asymmetry: One half of the mole does not match the other
B is for Border: The edges are irregular, ragged, notched or blurred. Normal moles are round or oval.
C is for Color: The mole is not evenly colored. It may include shades of brown or black, or patches of pink, red, white or blue.
D is for Diameter: The spot is larger than 6 millimeters across, generally larger than a pencil eraser.
E is for Evolving: The mole is changing in size, shape or color.
We have TONS of great sunscreen options in our shop. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Sun Defense Minerals Powdered SPF - These hypoallergenic, non pore clogging natural minerals provide water-resistant SPF 30 sun protection with easy application. Suitable for all skin types.
- Tropical Vanilla Day Cream SPF 40 - A tropical day cream formulated with vanilla, shea butter and SPF 40 all mineral protection to revitalize skin and help prevent sunburn. Suitable for all skin types.
- Lilikoi Mineral Defense Sport Sunscreen SPF 30 - An easy-to-apply sport formulation for face and body, this SPF 30 mineral sunscreen is non-greasy and water-resistant up to 40 minutes. Highly effective for outdoor activities like swimming and high-performance sports where perspiration can impact standard sunscreen efficacy, this zinc oxide sunscreen protects from head to toe.
- Rosehip & Lemongrass Lip Balm SPF 15 - Moisturize and protect dry lips with this hydrating lip balm stick. All natural SPF15 defends dry lips against harmful UV exposure, while soothing rosehip oil relieves dryness and rejuvenating lavender restores softness.
- Dream Tint Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 - A hydrating, lightweight, water-resistant tinted moisturizer with SPF 15. R ecommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective broad spectrum sunscreen.
- Glow Time Pro BB Cream SPF 25 - A weightless BB cream with a radiant satin finish, SPF 25 Broad Spectrum sun protection and long-lasting, transfer-resistant coverage.